I tweeted the fact that I had hand made a pretty epic Portuguese peri peri sauce the other day (and it is delicious) and a lot of my followers wanted the recipe.
Well, here it is…give it a go. It’s AWESOME with fish. A warning though, I don’t do measurements. I just add/pour until it tastes right so I’ll do my best to be as specific as possible.
This recipe will be enough to fill a large Grolsch bottle. Because that’s what peri peri is supposed to be stored in…right…?
- About 10 medium chillies (or 15 smaller chillies) – whole, but stalks off. Doesn’t matter which chillies, depends on your tolerance for heat I suppose. I like using Serenade chillies because they’re hot enough to bite, but not so hot that you’ll feel like you have a raging case of IBS for two days after you eat it. Also consider using Tabasco chillies or African Bird’s Eye chillies.
- 4 glugs of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Rind from half a lemon
- 2 Teaspoons of Paprika
- Maggi Arome seasoning (to taste)
- Correander. Paste or fresh. If you use the paste, it’s pretty concentrated so no more than a tablespoon.
- An empty Grolsch bottle
Half a cup of milk
Here’s how you do it. It’s not rocket science though:
- Place everything (except the glass of milk) in a food processor
- Blitz until smooth
- Pour into Grolsch bottle
- Clean up the mess you made because the bottle neck of the bottle is so flippin’ narrow you managed spill everywhere
Add spilled sauce to bottle
- Forget you have chilli on your fingers and rub your eyes
- Scream out in agony
- Run around the kitchen like a fairy giving birth
- Pour the milk over your eyes
- Wait a few seconds for the burn to die down, enough so that you can see again
- Put your sauce in the fridge.
- Come up with a good excuse for your red eyes that look like a map of the Witwatersrand because people will think you smoked a fat zoll and “I got chilli in my eye” just doesn’t cut it.
- Wait 24-hours before you use your sauce
- Remember to buy latex gloves the next time you want to make my epic peri peri sauce.